Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sleepless in Seattle

I don’t consider myself an insomniac. In college I was able to sleep-on-demand. I took full advantage of the fifty minutes between my classes: nap for twenty minutes, hit the cafeteria for a bite to eat then jet off to my next class. That’s a skill right there.

Easy sleeping is not in my son’s bag of tricks. Like Father, Like Son.

In my quest to help my son catch more Zzz’s, I attended Let’s Talk About Sleep at the Community Birth and Family Center in the Eastlake neighborhood. This two-hour seminar was facilitated by Ann Keppler RN, MN, co-author of Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn.

I learned about how infants sleep in different parts of the world, SIDS and safe sleeping environments, transitional objects, things that disrupt sleep, recommended amounts of sleep by age, etc.

My husband and I are going to begin incorporating a transitional object into my son’s daily routine. I hope it provide our sleepy one with comfort in our absence.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for more sleeping in Seattle.

No comments: