Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wading Around

I have an interesting relationship with the weather. For as long as I can remember, talking about it hasn’t been small talk for me. My grade school journals often included entries that read, “It feels warm, like 75 degrees. The sky is bright blue and the clouds are high and fluffy.”

I’m often asked how I deal with Seattle Weather since I grew up a California Girl. The answer is that I am patient. Yes, the winter days are short. Tiny. Miniature. I wait for the summer days which are simply divine.

I am patient. I’ve been patient. Very patient… Where is the warm weather already?

In anticipation of my baby’s first summer, I’ve stocked up on gear. He has infant friendly sunscreen, a super floppy lightweight hat and the cutest darn swim trunks with a built in swim diaper.

Now I’m waiting. I wait to wade. While I wait, I have learned that Seattle Parks and Recreation boasts a whopping thirty wading pools!

From mid-May through late August, these water wonders will be open when the temperature is forecasted to be 70 degrees or warmer. The advantage to these community pools is that high public use consumes a substantially lesser amount of water versus neighbors filling commercially purchased pools or running the sprinklers in their own yards.

No comments: